When I do my weekly meal prepping (typically on Sundays), one of the things that I absolutely love making big batches of is granola. My kids love it as a snack in little baggies or containers, and it’s great on yogurt, with almond milk- whatever. So many uses for such an easy thing to make! And the good thing about granola is it is super easy to add healthy “stuff” to it like flax, chia seeds, etc without them even noticing.
Not that I like to “trick” my kids, but sometimes it’s best to not even talk about flax or chia seeds. Seeds freak my 3 year old out, I’m not going to lie. It they ask or want to help, they help mix it and haven’t said anything about it so far so we just don’t discuss it. It’s just the norm, kwim?
As I’m sure you already know, one of our FAVORITE things around here is Red Velvet. Red Velvet anything really. It’s just so good- and living in the south, it’s pretty much a staple in these parts! Although, I never eat it when we are out because typically anything Red Velvet = something you really shouldn’t be eating because it has nothing but unhealthiness in it. We know it’ true, but it’s just.so.good!
So in comes my Red Velvet Cake Granola..
If you’ve tried my Red Velvet Protein Bites or Red Velvet Truffles, you know you can still indulge in a Red Velvet treat without the added crap in it. Now don’t get me wrong- enjoy that piece of real Red Velvet Cake every once in a while- don’t deny yourself! BUT, when you’re getting the craving for something sweet, incorporating it into your daily life in a healthy way can be very satisfying.
No, it’s not a piece of Red Velvet Cake..but it’s pretty darn good. Good enough to where I could eat this for breakfast everyday for a week and not get tired of it. 😉
This would make a perfect addition to some Vanilla Coconut Yogurt with some strawberries added to make it into a parfait. Now if only all my strawberries weren’t soaking in Double Chocolate Vodka right now…yes, it’s true. I’m posting some more “adult” Valentine’s themed recipes this week, so be on the lookout for that one. SO good. 😉
Full disclosure: The kids and I might have eaten some of this right off the counter as we were taking pictures. You know, just to quadruple taste test to make sure the recipe is good enough for you all 😉
- 1 1/2 Cups Gluten Free Oats
- 1/2 Cup Flax or Brown Rice Cereal (can sub extra oats if preferred)
- 2 TBS Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Cashew Butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 1/4 Maple Syrup or Honey if not vegan
- 2 TBS Coconut Oil
- 1 TBS Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Beet Root Powder* (see notes)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Optional: White Chocolate Chips (you can order vegan ones if preferred) and/or dark chocolate chips.
- Mix Oats, Cereal, Coconut Flakes, Cocoa Powder, and Beet Root Powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, melt coconut oil and cashew butter in microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add Honey/Maple Syrup and Vanilla Extract to melted mixture.
- Add the melted mixture to the dry and mix well.
- Spray a parchment paper lined baking sheet with oil and line evenly with granola.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 min, stirring regularly.
- * You can find Beet Root Powder online or at a local health food store. You can sub in food coloring (if so, please use something natural, just because I asked nicely, k? ;) ) or you can add 1/4 cup steamed beet puree to the liquid mix and continue to cook as directions say.